In their 112-year history, Oris has never made a non-date dive watch! While admiring their 2015 Divers Sixty-Five, we looked at the bold blocks of vintage Superluminova for the indices at three, six, nine, and twelve o'clock on, and immediately thought of how balanced and beautiful a non-date version of the watch would be. We then approached Oris about the idea of a limited edition non-date watch, and to our delight they agreed. We then worked together with Oris designers to create a retro dive watch that included more iconic 1960s elements.
Our first thoughts were to incorporate text and font treatments similar to the dial on the original Oris Divers Sixty-Five. Then our good friend and judge of the Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Genève, Eric Singer, encouraged us with design recommendations, including the orange bezel pip at twelve o'clock and the orange tip on the seconds hand. Another design goal was to give the watch a more solid instrument feel by replacing the black coating treatment on the bezel with a natural steel finish.
The aesthetics of the Divers Sixty-Five Topper Edition are also closer to the original 1960s-era watch. First, the dial text and font is more similar to the original piece. Instead of describing the 10bar/100m water resistance on the dial, the language of the original "anti-shock" is used. In addition, we fully replicated the dial text of the original by reintroducing the movement jewel count, a common declaration of Sixties-era watches. However, we updated the count from "17 jewels" to "26 jewels" to reflect the modern movement. Also like the original, "Swiss Made" is positioned at the bottom edge of the dial. The upper dial text also received a retro makeover. The line under "Oris" was removed and the word "automatic" is in a font closer to the original "waterproof" text it replaced.
Mechanically, the Divers Sixty-Five Topper Edition features a variant of the Sellita SW-200-1 with the date wheel has been removed. Some non-date versions of watches with date complications feature date wheels that are merely covered up. The approach of removing the date wheel eliminates the awkward "ghost position" when manipulating the crown through the distinctive clicks of what was the date set position.
The Oris Divers Sixty-Five features a 40mm diameter case, lug to lug length of 48mm, thickness of 12.7mm, and a 20mm lug width. These dimensions make the watch extremely wearable for all wrist sizes.
The 100-piece Oris Divers Sixty-Five Topper Edition comes with both the tropic style rubber strap and the newly introduced steel bracelet, and is priced at $2,199.
- Material: Multi-piece stainless steel case and black DLC plated, aluminum minute scale top ring with orange pip.
- Size: 40.00 mm, 1.575 inches
- Top Glass: Sapphire, domed on both sides, anti-reflective coating inside
- Case Back: Stainless steel, screwed
- Operating Devices: Stainless steel screw-in security crown
- Water Resistance: 10 bar (100 meters)
- Lug Width: 20 mm
- Individually numbered 100-piece limited edition
- Number: Oris 733, base SW 200-1 modified for removal of calendar position
- Dimensions: Ø 25.60 mm, 11 1/2'''
- Functions: Centre hands for hours, minutes and seconds, fine timing device and stop-second
- Winding: Automatic winding, bi-directionally rotating red rotor
- Power-Reserve: 38 hrs
- Vibrations: 28,800 A/h, 4 Hz
- Jewels: 26
- Material: Black dial
- Luminous Material: Indices and hands Superluminova light old radium
- Perfectly symmetrical lume signature of the twelve, nine, six, and three o'clock markers
- Font treatment and dial language that evokes the original Divers Sixty-Five
- The Topper Edition comes with both a metal bracelet and rubber strap
- Steel Bracelet: Multi-piece stainless steel metal bracelet, folding clasp
- Black rubber strap, stainless steel buckle
Price of $2,199 includes free domestic delivery ($100 for international delivery). Sales tax applied for California deliveries.
Most of these watches have been pre-sold, but there is a limited number of watches immediately available from the August shipment (around 10 pieces) and around 30 pieces still available from the shipment coming in September/October.
To order for immediate delivery, email email@example.com for a paypal invoice. You can also order by calling Topper during our business hours, 10:00am-5:30pm PT.
To pre-order a watch from the second shipment (expected September/October) please call the store during our business hours, 10:00am-5:30pm PT. You can also reserve the watch with a $500 deposit payable by PayPal or by credit card (phone payment). Once we confirm the availability and agree on the watch number, we can send you a PayPal invoice. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org with a specific number request and she will confirm availability by email and send you a PayPal invoice. If you are not interested in picking a specific number and just want to secure one as soon as possible, please send a $500 PayPal payment to email@example.com. In the subject line or body, please write "Oris 65 Topper Edition deposit". You will receive a receipt by email which will include your remaining balance. Purchase price is $2,199 with free domestic delivery. International delivery is $100. Sales tax in California.